Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring has not quite sprung (yet!)

Despite the fact that it is already almost a week into April, our weather hasn't quite caught up.  We received a large dump of snow over the weekend, but I've come to expect erratic weather and try to accept is as a fact of life.

I thought I would take advantage of today's sunshine and milder temperatures (+5C!) to go outside and take a few pictures of the lastest projects.

Today, I have for you a mitten and some spinning.

This is my first ever attempt at a mitten.  It is knit in Noro Silk Garden, which is Silk, kid mohair and lamb's wool.  It's mate is almost done, but due to the nature of the long colour changes in Noro, they will be fraternal twins, which suits me just fine.  Before you say it, I know the thumb is a little wonky, thanks to using DPNs which were too large for the thumb.  Live and learn.

This mitten has not yet been blocked.  I will block both when I am done and photograph them together.

Here is my first attempt at spinning.  I took a drop spindle class at Make 1 in November, and purchased this roving and spindle at that time.  I picked up the spindle again to get myself back into the rhythm of drafting the fibres, figuring out how much fibre makes what thickness of yarn.  It is a learning process for sure, as you can see by my not on purpose thick and thin yarn.  However, I love these colours together, and still have quite a bit of fibre left to spin.  What I'm not sure of is what to do once my spindle is full and the fibre is all gone.  I know I'll need to get myself a niddy-noddy, but I'm not sure what to DO.  I'll have to figure that out soon, I guess.

Without further ado, this is fibre from Sweet Georgia in the Snapdragon colourway.




I'm off to Lloydminster for a conference mid-April, and I'm told there is nary a craft store to be found, so much of my spare time will be spent knitting and spinning, I'm sure.  Did I mention that I am being carpooled up there?  And I'm not driving?  That's prime knitting time!  I'll have to load up my ravelry with patterns so I can take them up on my netbook with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment