Saturday, April 23, 2011

Do Ladybugs herald the beginning of Spring?

As the title states, does the arrival of ladybugs herald the beginning of Spring?  I think it does:

Every Ladybug wheel has a ladybug hidden on it somewhere.  Mine is on the left rear leg.



That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I have acquired a spinning wheel.  A Schacht Ladybug to be exact.  Purchased from Cal at Shuttleworks, with the lazy kate included.

Just got home!



Lazy kate and treadles assembled


Ready to go!
Assembly seemed simple enough (I am equipped with a very handy husband) and I was ready to start spinning.  I had bought some Coopworth and some Shetland at Shuttleworks, and opted to start with the Coopworth.  Keep in mind, I have done some spindle spinning, so I had a notion of how the whole shebang worked.  I understood pre-drafting.  It was the uptake I couldn't get right.  After much frustration on my part (hubby was cool as a damn cucumber), and much youtube watching, we got it!

I present you with my spun yarn, hubby's spun yarn (also Coopworth) and some smaller singles I started making :)  The Coopworth is a natural oatmeal colour, and probably about a worsted to bulky weight.

My first wheel spun yarn!

Hubby's first-ever yarn!


Thinner singles!  Superwash merino in Botanica from The Sweet Sheep!

And, not to be left out, remember the spindle shots from earlier?  Well, it finally got full, and I couldn't spin any more on it.  So here is my one-of-a-kind, thick and thin singles.

Pre-washing


Post washing.  I don't think I smacked it enough, there are some overspun parts still.  I guess we'll see how that plays out.
Remember the lone mitten?  He has a fraternal brother!  They are made with Noro, that's all I remember.


I've been really busy.  Sure, my house is messy, but look at all the fibre love!

No comments:

Post a Comment